The holidays have come and gone. How is that possible? To be honest, I don’t miss it. I am a bit of an admitted Scrooge. It is just a busy and hectic time that leaves me exhausted instead of refreshed. That being said . . . there are a few things I really do enjoy, and this year was no different. Here is a belated list of a few of a Scrooge’s favorite Christmas things:
- Seeing Family and Friends – The can drive you crazy sometimes, but it’s still fun to sit down and watch a movie, play a game, and have a nice sit down dinner with those you love. Even a Scrooge can admit this.
- Singing Silent Night on Christmas Eve – The lights are turned off and the congregation sings via candle light. Every year I get goose bumps, reflect on all the happenings of the year, and often find myself overwhelmed with emotion (usually a bittersweet feeling that another year has come and gone, but thankful to be in that moment . . . seriously I am almost crying thinking about it!) That is definitely the pinnacle of Christmas for me. Love.
- Writing Christmas Cards!! – I am a true lover of snail mail. Each year I hand write my cards with care and eagerly await updates from friends via the postal service. Those who write personal messages, whether long or short, get big brownie points for me. Those who don’t . . . well I may or may not think a little less of them. (Judgmental I know.) It is hard work, but I think it’s worth it to let my loved ones know I individually thought of them during this time of year. Below is a photo of one of my card writing nights this year . . . it’s a marathon of writing!
- Giving Gifts – Better than getting gifts, is giving. Cheesy but true. I love trying to find something that each person will enjoy. While it is a stressful process at times since I refuse to go the gift card route, it’s usually worth it. I did a pretty darn good job this year if I do say so myself. I hand-made some letter art for my aunt, got my mom a date to a painting class, got TJ a personalized cribbage board . . . and on and on. Good stuff!
- Christmas CD Exchange – My best friends an I have an approximately 3 year old tradition of exchanging mixed CD’s for Christmas. It is one of the gifts I most look forward to giving and getting. I am always exposed to great new music, rediscover old classics, and get a little taste of my friends who live far away. I am convinced I could guess the giver of the CD without knowing who sent it 🙂 Here are a couple of my favorites from my CD this year: I Want You Back, Jackson 5 and 93 Million Miles, Jason Mraz. I am still pending two CD’s (names will not be named) and making the first round through J’s, so favorites from those will be determined later!
- Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s – I miss these already. Damn you Trader Joes, these are so addicting. Until next year . . .
- Kisses at Midnight – Moving to New Years, I really do love a good man to kiss at midnight. This year we actually left the bar at 11:30, proceeded to share a bottle of champagne, and talk for a couple of hours about life. To me that was the perfect end to 2012. Thanks JTH.
After this reflection . . . maybe the holidays aren’t so bad . . . maybe I can be a reformed Scrooge. I have another 11 months to rest up for another round.
I hope everyone had a great holiday season!